Home » meetingplanners » Coming to Canada

Coming to Canada

Choosing Canada as the destination to hold your next meeting, convention, event or exhibition has never been an easier decision! In consultation with members of the meetings, conventions and incentive travel industry (MCIT) the Canada Customs Revenue Agency has streamlined the border procedures to make your job easier and to serve you more efficiently.

Destination Winnipeg would be pleased to help host your next meeting or convention and will work with you to ensure a smooth and successful event. This area of the website provides information and direct links to the appropriate Government of Canada websites and to material that will make your planning a breeze.

As well, the tax refund area of our site will guide you through the eligibility requirements and provide you with easy links to the proper tax refund forms that you can download.

This section of the website also provides links to the corresponding individual traveler border requirements and to tax rebate information that may be used by your delegates.

Convention Services Program

The Government of Canada had made it easier than ever for you to bring your next meeting or convention to Canada. The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) has designed a one-stop shop for event planners, organizers, and planners. Each region in Canada has a convention coordinator who can provide you with more information, answer all your questions or provide helpful advice. You can contact the regional office by phone, fax, or mail to request information.

Tax Refunds

Foreign Conventions

Canada Revenue Agency will refund the GST paid on eligible short-term accommodation and eligible convention supplies to:

  • Sponsors, including in-house planners, of foreign conventions
  • Organizers of foreign conventions (including incentive house that are not registered for the GST)
  • Non-resident exhibitors who are not registered for the GST

For eligibility and forms, visit the Government of Canada website.

Non-Resident Exhibitors

Non-resident exhibitors who are not registered for GST can claim a refund for the GST paid on the lease or rental of space and eligible convention supplies for foreign and domestic conventions.

To be eligible for a GST refund, exhibitors must lease or rent the space only for use as a site at a convention to promote the exhibitor’s business, services, or goods. You must complete a Refund application for foreign conventions (Form GST386) and mail it Visitor Rebate Program at the address below. The application must be submitted within one year after the last day of the convention.

Incentive Travel Organizers

You may be eligible for a GST refund on the goods and services bought in Canada that relate to incentive trips if you are a non-resident incentive house that assembles incentive trips for other businesses, or if you are a non-resident business that uses your own in-house planners to organize incentive trips for your employees. For more information on eligibility visit the Canada Revenue Agency

Tour Operators

As a non-resident travel service provider/tour operator (e.g. travel agent, cruise operator, hotel, and air carrier), who is not registered for GST purposes, you can apply for a refund of the GST paid on eligible short-term accommodation, made available to non-resident individuals. For more information on who may apply visit the Canada Revenue Agency

Forms can also be obtained from participating Duty-Free Shops or by contacting the Visitor Rebate Program at the address below.